
The boys had their first sailing experience with Pop Pop the day before we left to come home. Nubbin, who is usually our more cautious child, was the one who really wanted to go. Fafa, not so much, since water is the only thing he's a little apprehensive about.

Nubbin had a minor accident on the dock as he was waiting for the boat and got knocked in the head with the boom... luckily Pop Pop bore the brunt of the impact, but it was enough to make him wary of the sail... hence, for most of the time, he kept his head down and popped up every once in a while like a prairie dog to point at something in the water.

Once Nubbin got off the boat, he told me that he didn't like this boat and preferred one without a boom. I mentioned that if the boat didn't have a boom which is attached to the sail, then it wouldn't be a sailboat. He thought about it for a while and then said, 'Then I'd like to go in a taller sailboat so my head doesn't hit the sail.'

After an initial, 'NO!' Fafa decided he wanted to go. Although, it looks like he's relaxed, I think it was just that he didn't move from where Pop pop placed him.

I will say that he followed instruction pretty well for a 2 1/2 year old. After seeing Nubbin get hit, Fafa was very careful to duck every time Pop pop tacked. Hopefully, this introduction will get them used to the idea and I haven't scarred them for life.
1 comment:
I'm so glad we finally have some sailors in the family! That was a great experience and I know PopPop loved it. moi
Post a Comment